Whether you want to improve the function of your nose or change its shape, you are requiring a procedure called rhinoplasty. It is commonly known as a nose job. The first step is setting up an appointment with Dr Michael Zacharia. Make sure to discuss your goals during the meeting.
After the discussion, the surgeon will evaluate your nose’s structures and other facial feature. Once the evaluation is finished, the surgeon will reveal if your expectations are realistic. Aside from that, the surgeon will also take into consideration your overall health. You should expect that the surgeon would discuss the risks, recovery and the costs.
Soon after the discussions and you are amenable, the surgeon will schedule your surgery. To help you prepare, here are the things to do before, during and after rhinoplasty surgery:
Two weeks before the surgery
Your preparation should start two weeks before the surgery. During this time, you are expected to do the following:
• It is important that you stop taking products that contain aspirin.
- You have to understand that vitamins are essential in your healing. With this, you need to take multi-vitamins with iron, minerals, and vitamins C and E.
• As an outpatient, you need to make necessary arrangements before the surgery.Ensure that there is someone to pick you up and will stay with you for the first 24 hours after the surgery.
Two days before the surgery
Two days before the surgery, it is normal to be anxious but you have to keep your cool. During this time, you are expected to do the following:
• You need to prepare for ice-cold compresses. Make sure that you look for a small zip-lock bags that are capable of storing crushed ice and frozen peas. Commercial ice packs are also great alternatives.
• Secure gauze squares, paper tape, betadine soap, and hydrogen peroxide.
• Buy juices, tea, soup, and other “light foods”. These will facilitate easy eating.
The night before your surgery
In just a few hours, you will have the surgery. You are expected to do the following:
• This is when you need to use betadine soap. You have to wash your face with it for three minutes.void eating or drinking anything after the clock hits 12 midnight.
More importantly, get a good sleep.
Day of your surgery
- This is the day you’ve been waiting for. You should expect the following:
- Wash your face again with betadine soap for three minutes. Do not wear lipstick orany makeup.
- Arrange for someone to take you to the clinic.
• Do not eat or drink anything.
First few days after the surgery
You survived the surgery and now it is time to recuperate and heal. You are expected to do the following:
• Aftercare is important in healing. The first thing to do is to elevate your head at all times. This is to minimise the swelling.
• This is the time to use your ice bags. Put it on your eyes and cheeks during the day, Remember not to get the nasal cast wet. Do not even out pressure on it.
• Expect bloody nasal discharge for two to four days after the procedure. Do not forget to change the gauze pad as often as needed.
• Refrain from doing a strenuous activity after the surgery.
• The cast will be removed one week after the surgery.